Final Reminder- CSR – Removal of Manager Assessments – April 2018
From 1 April 2018 the Construction Skills Register (CSR) will remove occupational assessments as a route to new manager and senior manager cards. Candidates wishing to get a manager or senior manager card based on an occupational assessment must submit an application before close of business on Friday 30 March 2018.
Application forms can be downloaded from the website.
What is happening?
From 1 April 2018 CSR will stop accepting all manager and senior manager card applications based on occupational assessment. From this date, new manager and senior manager card requirements will be based on achievement of an NVQ at the appropriate level.
NB: existing cards will remain valid and can be renewed as normal.
New applicants will still be able to apply for a Manager or Senior Manager card but will be required to achieve an NVQ 6 or 7.
The CSR card options available to construction managers from April 2018 are as outlined below:
- Black Card - Senior Manager
All applicants complete Essential Health and Safety for Senior Executives or IOSH’s Safety for Senior Executives & Directors. Applicants are also required to hold a Level 7 NVQ in Construction Senior Management.
- Platinum Card - Manager
All applicants complete Essential Health and Safety for Managers or IOSH’s Managing Safely in Construction. Applicants are required to hold a Level 6 NVQ in Construction Site Management or Construction Contracting Operations Management.
Applicants may also wish to consider the following cards:
- Platinum Card - Academically Qualified Person
Completion of a recognised third level construction related degree and successful completion of one of the specified manager or senior manager health and safety training courses applicable to the level at which the applicant operates within their organisation.
- Platinum Card - Professionally Qualified Person
Hold one of the professional qualifications as listed in the CSR section of the website and also successfully complete one of the specified manager or senior manager health and safety training courses, applicable to the level of which the applicant operates within their organisation.
To assist in the transition, CSR will be introducing a ‘NEW’ Experienced Manager card from 30 March 2018. This card will be available to experienced managers who do not have a construction related degree, professional membership or relevant NVQ.
Applicants for an Experienced Manager card must provide:
- an employer’s declaration confirming their experience,
- evidence that they have signed up to a relevant NVQ such as:
- Level 6 NVQ Diploma in Construction Contracting Operations Management
- Level 6 NVQ Diploma in Construction Site Management
- Level 7 NVQ Diploma in Construction Senior Management, and
- complete one of the following manager/senior manager level health and safety courses appropriate to the level they operate within their organisation:
- Essential Health & Safety for Managers
- IOSH Managing Safely in Construction
- Essential Health & Safety for Senior Executives
- IOSH Safety for Executives and Directors
The card will be valid for 4 years and cannot be renewed. Cardholders are expected to have achieved a relevant NVQ prior to the expiry of the card.